Friday, January 11, 2019

Hamburger Soup

 My Dad is known to make the best soup.  I wish I could get his recipes but he doesn't use any, he just adds a little this and a little that and it always turns out so good.  I, on the other hand, need a recipe.  I also need to measure everything, otherwise, recipes just don't turn out for me.  I've made this soup a few times and haven't changed a thing.   It's not my Dads soup but it's delicious.  It's packed full of veggies and it's flavorful.  
It takes a while to prep everything but once the meat is browned it all goes into the pot to cook.





Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef (chuck)
1 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
1 cup sliced carrots (2 medium)
1 cup sliced zucchini (1 small)
1 cup chopped cabbage 
2 small potatoes, diced (peel if desired) (I like to use Yukon gold or new red potatoes)
1 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes
6 cups beef broth (Have extra broth on hand to thin out soup if needed) 
1/3 cup pearl barley
1/4 tsp. garlic powder 
1 1/2 tsp. salt, to taste
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1 1/2 tsp. Penzey's Old World Seasoning (optional)
Directions:
In a large stockpot, brown the ground chuck, stirring frequently to break it up, about 10 minutes. Drain well. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour or until the vegetables have softened.
*The leftovers will need some extra broth as it's gets soaked up by the barley.



Serves: 12
Soup can be easily halved if you only need 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment