Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Broccoli Salad with Bacon, Cranberries and Sunflower Seeds


I have been making this salad for years and it's my go to salad to bring to cookouts.  Everyone loves it and if by chance there is any leftover, it's good the next day.  There are a lot of different recipes out there for this salad and I've settled on this one because it's not overdressed and is a perfect balance of crunchy, sweet and salty. 

(Cauliflower added)


Ingredients:

2-3 broccoli crowns (about 6-7 cups), cut into small florets (I like to use cauliflower too, along with the broccoli) 

8 bacon slices, crisp-cooked and crumbled

1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 Tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1.  Combine broccoli (and cauliflower if using), bacon, onion, sunflower seeds and cranberries in a large bowl.
2.  In a small bowl whisk mayo, vinegar sugar, salt and pepper.  Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
3.  Cover and refrigerate (at least an hour) until ready to serve.


1 comment:

  1. This is my favourite salad. I use the dressing all the time now on a lot of different salads I make. I like making too much, so you can soak up the rest with good bread.

    ReplyDelete