Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey - The best we've ever had!!!

 
I hosted Thanksgiving this year.  This was only the second turkey I've cooked in my life.  I happened to watch a video on allrecipes.com - Chef John recipe - Cooking Turkey for Chickens.  Well, I was chicken but the video gave me courage!  I followed the method and recipe and it turned out amazing!  The breast meat was so tender, moist, and flavorful and the dark meat was cooked to perfection.  I have found a keeper and will never look further for a turkey recipe.  My son Michael said this morning, "I never want turkey again unless you make it just like you did yesterday, it was the best."




 Watch Chef John's Video here

Ingredients:

Turkey (I had a 25 lb - Butter Ball)


Combine 
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp poultry seasoning (fresh, not from 1997)


Cut into large chunks
2 onions
3 ribs celery
2 carrots


This will go into Turkey cavity-
3 rosemary sprigs (I don't care for rosemary so I didn't use)
1/2 bunch sage


Use this to make gravy-
1 bay leaf


Flavored butter recipe (below) 



Preparation:  Watch video 


Ingredients Flavored butter:

  • 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup), room temperature (I used 3/4 cup butter because I had a large turkey)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh sage, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed very fine (I used 2 cloves)

Preparation:

  1. In a small bowl combine all ingredients and mash with a fork until completely mixed.

  2. Position the turkey so that the cavity is facing you and you are working forward towards the neck. Using a long, thin flexible rubber or silicone spatula, slowly slide the tool between the skin and the flesh of the breasts on both sides of the breastbone.

  3. The skin is fairly tough and won't tear if you go slowly and carefully. You can pretty much separate the skin all the way from the cavity, where you started, to the front of the breast, and down toward the wing joint. Do this on both sides of the breast, but leave the skin attached along the center of the breastbone itself.

  4. Then simply divide the butter mixture in half and stuff it under the skin on both sides and massage it down toward the front of the bird. Spread as evenly as possible, but don't worry about getting it perfect, as it will melt and spread out as the turkey roasts. Before roasting lay a piece of foil loosely over the breasts.

  5. Presheat 325. Roast the bird.  When the meat thermometer read 165-170 (thickest part of the thigh) (took 5 hours), took the turkey out of the oven and covered the whole turkey with foil, and left to rest for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment