Monday, August 11, 2014

Poached Eggs and Avocado Toast




In my last post I said that I'm not a huge breakfast eater but come the weekend I'm ready for some eggs and bacon.  I've been making poached eggs and avocado toast almost every weekend, it's that GOOD.  I had seen pictures of this all over pinterest and had to try it.  What a wonderful combination!  No recipe needed just use what ever bread you like, toast it, spread it with some mashed avocado (salt & pepper) and top with a poached egg (or fried egg).  That's really all you need BUT if you want to bring it over the top add some crisp bacon and a garden fresh tomato.  So delicious!

I go through about 3-4 avocados a week.  Love them on saladschunky guacamole, black bean and avocado salsa, great on BLT's and now for breakfast.  Avocados are pricey and it's so frustrating when I cut into a rotten one. I've learned to buy untouched unripened avocados and let them ripen on my counter and once they are ripe I'll store in fridge (for a few days) if not using right away.  This way they are not bruised by all the shoppers who love to squeeze all the ripe avocados in the bunch to find the perfect one.

 There are those times that I need an avocado and I don't have time to wait a few days for it to ripen so here's a tip I was given.  First, don't squeeze, and if you see marks that it was squeezed don't get it as it will be bruised.  Then look for the dark black/brown color of the skin.  Once you find a good candidate, flick off the hard stem and if it's brown under it, it's bad but if it's yellowish/green it will be perfect.  So far, this has worked for me.  


3 comments:

  1. Luka, These eggs taste as amazing as they look. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I need to make this recipe - so much creamy yumminess going on!

    ReplyDelete