Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spicy Chicken (or Shrimp) Rigatoni

Made with Shrimp
Made with Chicken



I came across this recipe on the blog Six Sister's Stuff and thought I'd give it a try.  First time I made it, it was too spicy for our liking but I knew that with a little tweaking we would love this pasta.  I cut way back on the red pepper flakes but if you like spicy go for it.  Easily half the recipe for 3-4 servings as it makes 6-8 servings.  I've made this with chicken and shrimp, both very good.  While the pasta is cooking you make the sauce and it all comes together quickly for an easy week night meal. 
Ingredients:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (I used only 1teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups Alfredo sauce (I used a jar of store bought sauce)
2 cups marinara sauce (I used a jar of store bought sauce)
1/2 cup frozen peas (I used 1 cup peas)
1 lb (16 oz) rigatoni noodles, cooked al dente
2 tablespoons butter (I didn't use butter, don't think it needs it)
Sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese and a pinch of red pepper flake (if you dare) for garnish.
Directions: 
Cook pasta according to directions.  
In a large skillet on medium-high heat, heat  olive oil. Saute garlic, red pepper flakes, and coarse black pepper for 2-3 minutes. Add in thin strips of chicken breast, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until chicken is cooked through. This should only take a few minutes because the chicken is cut thin. (If using shrimp, saute until cooked and take out of pan (set aside) until end of preparation so not to overcook.
Add in marinara sauce and Alfredo sauce, stir.  Add peas and let sauces simmer for about 5 minutes.  (At this point if making with shrimp add cooked shrimp to sauce)
Combine chicken/sauce mixture with cooked pasta. Garnish with fresh Parmesan cheese, and a pinch or two of red pepper flake.
 

1 comment:

  1. This recipe was awesome! I used a rotisserie chicken and it all came together in a snap. This recipe goes into my keep and remake book!

    ReplyDelete