Friday, January 9, 2015

TIramisu




Happy New Year!  I looked back and realized I didn't post one recipe in December.  It's not that I didn't do a lot of cooking and baking, I did, but during the holidays I stick to my tried and true recipes.  One recipe that has made it into that category is this tiramisu recipe.  If I had to pick a favorite dessert, tiramisu would be it.  I thought I would have to try a few recipes before I found a keeper but after serving this to my daughter (and she likes tiramisu as much as I do), she agreed with me, this one is perfect.

I've only made this twice and have looked forward to making it again soon.  Just so happened, I got a call yesterday about getting some friends together for dinner next weekend. There will be 5 couples and trying to get that many around a table at a restaurant and trying to visit with everyone, didn't sound like as much fun as it would be to just have them all over.  The funny thing was, as I was suggesting to have this dinner party, I was thinking, "Oh good, I have a reason to make tiramisu again!" and "Oh good, I will make those really good stuffed shells that I made over the holidays and forgot to take a picture for my blog and now I can!"  and "Oh good, I have some Limoncello in the freezer I've wanted to open!"  So right then and there, I planned an Italian themed dinner party.   The planning (for me) is always the hardest part and since I already had a plan and my friend did the inviting, and the guests are bringing the wine, this should be an easy, fun and delicious get-together!

Hopefully, I remember to take a photo of the Stuffed Shells this time so I can post them because they are a keeper too!


Ingredients




  • 4 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups (16 oz.) mascarpone cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 24 ladyfingers
  • 1/2 cup cold espresso (I use instant espresso coffee - Medaglia D'oro)
  • 1/4 cup Kahlua
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder

  • Directions
  • 1. Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring it to a boil over medium/high heat, then reduce the heat so that the water is simmering.

  • 2. Whisk egg yolks, milk, and sugar together in a medium metal bowl, then place the bowl on top of the saucepan.
  • 3. Whisk the mixture for 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.  The mixture becomes light yellow and thick.  (This does take a lot of arm muscles!)
  • 4. Remove the bowl from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.  Add  2 cups of mascarpone cheese and the vanilla and whisk until smooth.
  • 5. In a separate bowl, whip the cream with an electric mixer until thick.
  • 6. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture until it’s completely incorporated, but don’t over mix, you want to keep it light and fluffy.
  •  
  • 7. Combine the espresso and Kahlua in a shallow bowl, big enough to dip ladyfingers.
  • 8. One-by-one, dip each ladyfinger in the espresso.  The ladyfinger will soak up the espresso like a sponge, so dip quickly.
  • 9. Arrange 12 of the dipped ladyfingers side-by-side on the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch serving dish or baking pan. (You might have to break a few to get a single layer)
  •  
  • 10. Spoon about half of the cheese mixture over the ladyfingers, then add another layer of soaked ladyfingers on top of the cheese mixture.
  • 11. Spoon the remaining cheese mixture over the second layer of ladyfingers and spread it evenly.
  • 12. Cover and chill for at least 6 hours.  I like to make the day before.  If by chance there are leftovers, no worries as it is still good days later!
  • 13. Before serving put cocoa powder in a tight-mesh strainer and gently tap the side of the strainer to add an even dusting of cocoa powder over the top of the dessert.
  • 14. Serves 9 large pieces but I like to cut it into 12 smaller pieces.
adapted from Top Secret Recipes - Olive Garden Tiramisu 

                                                                                       

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting at least 125,000 page views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Legoboy186 (Ben)! I didn't even realize I had that many :)

      Delete