I love rhubarb and these are my favorite muffins. They are even better the next day. If there are any left over, they will freeze well.
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup diced fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
2. In a small bowl combine oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
3. Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
4. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two-third full. Makes 8-10 regular or 6 giant muffins.
5. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
6. Bake 350 for 25 minutes for the giant muffins. (less time on the regular size muffins)