Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Homemade Croutons

I was never a crouton lover until I started making them at home.  Homemade croutons are the easiest thing to make and so much better than store bought.  No bread goes to waste as I make these golden, crunchy nuggets for our daily salads.  Now that fall weather is here I can't wait to make some tomato soup for these croutons!


Today I used sourdough but I use whatever bread I have.  




 Here's my basic recipe but you can get creative with different seasoning.  Also, if you are using more or less cubed bread, the ratio of butter/bread is about 1/2 tablespoon melted butter to 1 cup bread cubes.  Day old bread will need a little more melted butter.




Ingredients:

8 cups cubed bread (fresh or day old)
4-6 tablespoons melted butter (use more for day old)
1/4  teaspoon garlic salt 


Instructions:

1. Preheat over to 300 degrees.  2. Spread bread cubes on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
3. Drizzle melted butter over and sprinkle garlic salt, toss lightly and again spread cubes in a single layer.
4.  Bake, stirring croutons every 10 minutes, for a total of 30-40* minutes until they are golden and crispy.
5. Cool and store croutons in an air­tight container or ziplock bag.  Will store for about 2 weeks.

Notes:  *Baking time will vary depending on the type of bread. 
             






No comments:

Post a Comment