Saturday, May 31, 2014

Stuffed Portobella Sandwich

My favorite place to be on a summer Saturday morning is at the Madison, Wisconsin Farmers Market.  I like to go early because the crowd really picks up after 8:00am.  My first stop is Colectivo Coffee for my favorite large triple shot, vanilla latte.  It's such a treat as it's my only latte I'll have all week.
  I never get tired of seeing our beautiful Capitol and what a beautiful morning it was. Just look at that blue sky.  Days like today I say to myself, "this is why I live in Wisconsin"!


For lunch I picked up some beautiful large portobellos and fresh spinach for stuffed portobello sandwiches.  I've made these sandwiches the last two Saturdays.  They are delicious!  
The portobellos are stuffed with sautéed spinach, artichokes and roasted red peppers then topped with  mozzarella and fresh shredded Parmesan cheese.  Served on a toasted ciabatta roll.

I first had this sandwich at The Great Dane Restaurant here in Madison.  Easy enough to make at home!

Ingredient:


Portobello Mushroom caps (1 per sandwich) (buy large ones as they will shrink)
Stuffing: (just make enough stuffing for each portobello)
olive oil
Marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
Roasted red peppers, chopped
Baby Spinach (Spinach really cooks down so use a lot)
Shredded mozzarella and freshly shredded Parmesan for topping
Ciabatta rolls


Directions

First preheat your oven to 425 or turn on your grill.
Sauté roasted red peppers and spinach in a little olive oil for the stuffing.  Set aside.
Take the stem off the mushrooms and clean the gills off the bottom of the caps. (carefully not to break portobello use a spoon and scrape off gills)
Brush Portobellos lightly with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet (covered with foil for easy cleanup) or grill. Roast or grill for about 15-20 minutes.
When mushrooms are cooked stuff and cover with cheese, put back in oven until cheese is melted.
Serve on a toasted ciabatta bun.

                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment