Monday, August 24, 2026

Scones - the ONE recipe!




I have made a lot of scones!  We once ran a B&B and I made them on repeat.  This is my one recipe and my favorite combos are cranberry orange and orange chocolate pecan.  I like short cuts so I use a food processor to quickly cut the butter into the flour mixture. If you don’t have a food processor no problem see *note below) Once that's done, I stir in the cream, OJ and mix-ins, shape, and freeze.  You can bake right away but I always freeze them and bake as needed.  They are best eaten the day they're baked.  These are great to have on hand, like tomorrow I'll be baking up a few for my Mahjong group.  Nothing better than a game of Mahjong with friends and freshly baked scones!

Ingredients for scones: 
3 cups all purpose flour (360 grams or 12 3/4oz **see note
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon orange zest
3/4 cup (12 Tablespoons) butter, cold and cut into pieces (I like to put in freezer while I get all the ingredients together) see note below ***
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup orange juice

Orange Chocolate Pecan Scones    or    Orange Cranberry Scones     
   1/2 cup dark chocolate chips                           3/4 cup Craisins                      
      1/2 cups chopped pecans                                                                               
                                                                                                                           

Instructions:
Step 1:  In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and zest. Pulse a few times to combine.  Add pieces of cold butter and pulse until butter is pea size.  Then add cream and orange juice, pulse just until dough starts to come together.  Don't over mix!

Step 2:  In a medium bowl add dough mixture then add the mix ins (chocolate chips and pecans or craisins).  Fold in until dough forms.  Again, don't over mix.  It will look somewhat crumbly but with a little shaping it will come together.  
Step 3:  Turn the dough out onto lightly floured service.  Shape into 3 circles.  Using a bench scraper cup each circle into 4 wedges (12 scones).  If baking right away arrange scones on a baking sheet and bake 400 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. (I like to bake 375 on the convection setting)  Let cool a little while before adding the glaze so you can keep the crunchy exterior.  If freezing see below ****

Ingredients for glaze:  Mix powdered sugar and orange juice to drizzle consistency 



*No food processor no problem just cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until butter is pea size.

**I always weigh my flour.  It's easy to overpack when measuring flour.  

***  If using unsalted butter add 1/2 tsp salt to flour mixture.

****Freeze:  Arrange unbaked scones on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Freeze until firm and then transfer to a zip lock bag.  Freeze up to 3 months.  When ready to bake, arrange as many as you need on baking sheet while oven is preheating.  Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown. ( Takes a few extra minutes to bake).  When cool drizzle with powder sugar glaze.


 


Ingredients:  flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange peel, butter, mini chocolate chips, heavy cream and orange juice  *for glaze - powder sugar and orange juice

Step 1
     

   
 
   

   

     Step 2
   


    Step 3
  

 
Cut

 
Shape

Bake or freeze
                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                                                      
Glaze

ENJOY!
                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment