Wednesday, March 16, 2022

General Tso's Ground Turkey



I love Chinese take-out but I'm out of luck because we don't have a Chinese Restaurant anywhere near where we live.  I have tried so many recipes to satisfy my craving.  This recipe for General Tso's did the trick!  It's made with ground turkey instead of the usual breaded fried chicken breasts.  The original recipe called for ground chicken but I couldn't find that at my local grocery store so I used Jennie-O brand, ground turkey.  I was pleasantly surprise how much we loved this!  It was spicy, sweet and packed with flavor.  I will make this again and soon because it's delicious, ready in 30 minutes and I can tell a craving's coming on!
The original recipe comes from Sabrina Snyder, her blog  Dinner then Dessert.  I made a few changes to the original.  One being I doubled the sauce, we like it saucy!  I also want to try some of her other Chinese inspired recipes,  Ground Kung Pao Chicken and Ground Orange Chicken.  Check her out here.



Ingredients:


1 pound ground turkey


4 ounces canned water chestnuts , diced


1 tablespoon minced ginger


1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes


2 cloves garlic minced


General Tso's Sauce:


6 tablespoons rice vinegar


6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce


4 teaspoons hoisin sauce


1/2 cup water


6 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoon cornstarch

Instructions:

1.  To a large non-stick pan add ground turkey.

2.  Cook, breaking apart until no longer pink.

3,  Add diced water chestnuts, then finish cooking  for an additional 2-3 minutes.

4.  Add the ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about 10 seconds.  While meat is cooking make sauce.


For the General Tso's Sauce: 


1.  In a small bowl add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water, sugar and cornstarch and whisk together.


2.  Once the meat mixture is cooked add the General Tso's sauce to the pan and bring to boil. Cook for just a few seconds, stirring until it thickens.  Serve over rice.  Enjoy!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment