Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Edwards Apple Orchard (Poplar Grove, IL)

It's that time of year again, time to go to Edwards Apple Orchard  (Poplar Grove, IL).  This place is what an orchard should be.  I've been going to Edwards annually since my kids were little and  I look forward to going every year.  My kids are grown now but if you have young kids Edwards has a lot to offer,  pony rides, a farm animal petting zoo,  playground, and even a farm museum.  Even though my kids are grown I still love going with friends.  My favorite is the barn with the gift shop.  There are many goodies for purchase.  Some of my favorites are apple butter, pumpkin butter, corn salsa, salad dressings and I always purchase a bag of apples.

I look forward to these apple spiced doughnuts and hot cider!  The doughnuts are warm and flavorful and along with the cider, I'm in apple heaven!

These are what apples are suppose to taste like.
 Here is one recipe that I make (several times!) when it's apple season.  It's so yummy!  



Apple Caramel Dip

1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caramel sauce (I used Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch Caramel)

1/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
1/2 cup Heath English Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits
apples, sliced

1. Beat the cream cheese with brown sugar until smooth. Spread onto a small to medium serving dish (with sides). I used a 3 cup Pyrex glass dish.

2. Heat the caramel slightly (about 10 second in microwave) to make spreadable. Spread on top of cream cheese.

3. Sprinkle the nuts and toffee bits all over the top. Serve with sliced apples for dipping.



I found this recipe on Janetishungry.blogspot.com but I made a few changes.



1 comment: