Thursday, October 4, 2012

Caramelized Salmon with Savory Mango Salsa and Cilantro Rice


I will admit I'm not a salmon lover mainly because I haven't found a good source to get good salmon.  My brother told me to try the fresh salmon they sell at Sam's Club.  So I did.  I was sceptical but once I opened the package I noticed it smelled fresh, not fishy and it was already skinned, no waste.  I cut it into 8 nice size portions.  I just needed two portions for my husband and I so I just froze the rest.
This recipe is so good.  Since I only needed two servings I halved the recipe with no problem.  The cilantro rice, mango salsa and the caramelized salmon just go together perfectly.  This entire meal can be ready to serve in less than 30 minutes.   Start the rice first, then chop and assemble the salsa ingredients so the flavors have time to meld while the salmon cooks.   The original recipe comes from Bella Online, Karen Hancock.  Thanks Karen for this amazing recipe!

Caramelized Salmon with Savory Mango Salsa & Cilantro Rice


6 Servings

Cilantro Rice:

1 cup Rice
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lime juice
2-4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Savory Mango Salsa:

1 1/2 cups diced mango, (about 2 medium)
3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1/4 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 medium Roma tomato, diced
1 small jalapeno pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Caramelized Salmon:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, 1/2-3/4 " thick, cut into 6 serving pieces

  1. Place the rice ingredients in the pan and cook according to rice instructions.

  2. Meanwhile, mix the salsa ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for the flavors to blend.

  3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet; medium heat.

  4. Mix the sugar, salt, and pepper on a large plate; dip the salmon on both sides in the mixture.

  5. Place the salmon in the heated skillet and cook until the salmon is caramelized on the underside.

  6. Turn and cook until the other side is caramelized and the salmon is cooked through. The time will depend on how thick the pieces are. Do not overcook.

  7. To serve, place a bed of rice on each of six serving plates, top with a piece of salmon. Scoop a spoonful of salsa over the salmon.   

1 comment: