|This is a one-pot dinner. That is if you start out with a large skillet. The first time I made it I didn't use a big enough skillet and had to dirty another. There's a lot of spinach that has to fit into the skillet so keep that in mind. It does cook down fast but you have to have the room so just start out with a big enough skillet and you're good to go. |
I got this recipe from Kent over at Cooking 4 One. Tonight I'm cooking for two so I doubled and made a few slight changes. This recipe is so tasty, quick and easy cleanup. Win, Win & Win!!
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Orecchiette with Italian Sausage and Spinach
2 tsp olive oil
6 oz Italian sausage
2 tbsp shallot, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
6 oz orecchiette
1 3/4 cup beef broth
5 oz spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1/3 cup cream
14 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese (plus extra for serving)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, heat until simmering.
2. Add the sausage, crumble and brown until almost no pink is left, about 5 mins.
3. Add the shallots and cook for about 3 minutes until softened. 4. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. 5. Add the orecchiette and stir it into the olive oil and sausage renderings,
spreading the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
6. Add the beef broth and bring to a heavy simmer.
7. Cover and reduce the heat to medium low, cooking for approximately 11 mins. until the pasta is nearly done and the liquid is well reduced.
8. Add the spinach and cover for 3 minutes.
9. Stir in the wilted spinach before adding the cream and the cheese.
10. Stir the cream, cheese, and red pepper flakes to create the sauce. Remove from the heat.
Serve with extra parmesan cheese.