- In a large soup pot (starts out big and once the mushrooms cook it will shrink down) melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and stir one more minute.
- Add your mushrooms, thyme, a teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, stir until the mushrooms shrink down to about half of what you started with about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, and bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15-20 minutes. The mushrooms should be tender and the soup thickened slightly.
- Use a blender or an immersion blender to puree about half the soup. Once smooth stir it back into the pot.
- If needed, add additional broth and salt and pepper to taste and stir.
- Serve in bowls and top each with a pat of butter and some thyme.
- If you have a food processor, use it to chop your mushrooms in batches. Make sure you pulse so not to puree. You can chop by hand but there are a LOT of mushrooms!
- I used white button, (baby bella) crimini and shiitake mushrooms.
- I used beef broth instead of chicken broth, only because I forgot to get chicken broth at the store. I'm not sure I'll make it with the chicken broth as the beef broth was so good.
Adapted from Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings: