1 1/4 (6 1/4 oz) cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 (3 1/2 oz) cups rolled oats , old-fashioned (not instant)
1 cup toasted pecans (4 oz), chopped (*see note)
1 cup (5 oz) dried tart cherries, chopped coarse
4 oz dark chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) butter, softened but still cool (*see note)
1 1/2 (10 1/2 oz) cups packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, stir together oats, pecans, cherries, and chocolate.
3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.
4. Roll between palms into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, flatten slightly spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake 14-16 minutes until cookies are light brown. Do not over bake.
5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Makes 2 Dozen large cookies
* To toast pecans place on cookie sheet and place in oven while preheating. When the oven reaches 350 pecans are toasted.
* I follow this recipe to a T so that they come out perfect everytime. Don't overmix or add more ingredients than called for or they won't be perfect.